Spotify says it has 12.5 million paying subscribers. If you do some very simple math, you can guesstimate that the company is going to end up doing more than a billion dollars in revenue this year.
Another reason you can feel comfortable guessing that: A year ago, when the music streaming service was smaller, it had already hit the $1 billion mark.*
That number comes courtesy of a new filing Spotify made today in Luxembourg, which spells out its 2013 financials in considerable detail. That doesn’t tell us how the company did this year, of course. But it’s very helpful to get a sense of direction.
Big picture: As of last year, Spotify was growing very fast, but wasn’t making any money. The good news is that the company’s top line was growing faster than its losses, which is one of the reasons it could raise money at a $4 billion valuation a year ago. And it suggests that CEO Daniel Ek’s argument — that the company could indeed be profitable if it didn’t plow more money into growth — might hold up.
Here’s a snapshot of the company’s P&L from last year. Note that revenues were up more than 70 percent, while its operating loss grew by less than 20 percent.
- 51Why is America’s largest cable TV company buying its biggest rival for $44 billion? Well, not to oversimplify things, but that’s easy to explain: http://qz.com/176837/one-sentence-and-six-charts-explain-why-comcast-is-buying-time-warner-cable/
- 46Data visualization artist RJ Andrews of Info We Trust created an amazing infographic of 16 of the 161 creative masterminds featured in Currey’s book.
- 37Yes, Twitter has a growth problem. But more than that, the company has another headache: Getting people to stick around after signing up. According to people close to the company, Twitter has seen more than one billion registrations to its service over the past seven and a half years. Stack…
- 33Let’s start with the premise that Twitch, the video-game watching network, is the next ESPN – you know, the jewel in Disney’s crown that, by itself, is worth $50.8 billion. Like ESPN, Twitch is about live competition, and, like ESPN, Twitch does exceptionally well in the highly desirable young male demographic.1 Obviously…
- 32Five months ago, the student town of Manipal went abuzz when they realized that one of their own was the leading contender in the race for the top job at Microsoft Corp. For the next five months, it looked like their prayers would easily lead to fruition. But late last…