Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past 9 months, you’ve heard about Bitcoin, and often in relation to massive moves in price action. Either up (for a long time) or down (as it has been going of late).
Despite all the warnings from financial professionals, the recent downfall for Bitcoin – and most notably the Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox – seemed to come as a total surprise.
With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, we can see that the warnings heeded by many turned out to be remarkably correct.
- 82The website of Mt. Gox appears to be taken down, shortly after six major Bitcoin exchanges released a joint statement distancing themselves from the troubled Tokyo-based bitcoin exchange. Mt. Gox's homepage was not loading, although no error message appeared. Mt. Gox was not immediately available for comment. "This tragic violation…
- 81Bitcoin prices are all out of whack. Mtgox cratering. pic.twitter.com/exe8Bwl6cG
- 78A bug in the bitcoin software that makes it possible to alter transaction details over the network has caused panic-selling among holders of the crypto-currency, sending prices crashing below the $600 mark on Monday morning. http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=25707
- 78Government regulators around the world have spent the last year scrambling to prevent bitcoin from becoming the currency of choice for money launderers and black marketeers. Now their worst fears may be about to materialize in a single piece of software. On Thursday, a collective of politically radical coders that…
- 78The price of the digital currency bitcoin slid to its lowest level in nearly two months on Monday after bitcoin digital marketplace Mt. Gox said a halt on withdrawals it announced on Friday would continue indefinitely after it detected "unusual activity." http://www.reuters.com